If you're in a book club and you're reading or considering reading The Good Shufu, thank you! As someone who spent six years in graduate school reading and discussing literature (yes, six; six years when my mother wished I were in law school), I really get the need to have stories in our lives and fellow readers to discuss them with. (Yes, six, and I still end my sentences with prepositions sometimes.) Here are some goodies to help the discussion along:
- The Good Shufu cocktail: My lovely publisher, Putnam, has compiled a list of suggested cocktails to drink with various great book-club reads, including The Catcher in the Rye, The Great Gatsby, and our very own Good Shufu. Get the full list here with recipes included!
- The official Good Shufu Readers Guide: My publisher offers this list of questions to help guide a discussion of The Good Shufu.
- Author Q&A, or, the unofficial Good Shufu readers guide: The questions I get asked most often by readers about my cross-cultural marriage, marrying a man who doesn't speak the same language, and then writing a book about it all.
- The Good Shufu Skype visit: Please don't hesitate to get in touch here to try to set up a Skype visit with your book club! We are on Japan-time here, so we may have to do a little juggling to make the time zones work if you are somewhere else, but I'd be thrilled to visit you virtually!
- The Good Shufu bookmark: As my way of thanking you and your group for reading my book, I'd be happy to send you free bookmarks designed by my publisher. Just contact email me with a photo of your group holding your books (Library editions count too!) and an address where you can receive the bookmarks. (Since the postage is on me and I'm sending from Japan, I'll need to limit the delivery to one address and 10 bookmarks per club, or however many people are in your photo.) I'll even post a picture of your group on my Facebook author page if you indicate that it's OK for me to do so.